The village of Ormesby is believed to have formed around two thousand years ago, while Romans still occupied the area.
St Margarets Church was probably built shortly after the Norman conquest around 1100. It now features a strong Norman arched entrance on a two storey porch. This porch and further alterations date back to the 15th century when, with the help of the Lacons – prominent landowners in the village – the church was enlarged. The porch is interesting in that it contains a “priest-hole” hiding space, likely created and used during the Reformation of the Church, during 1550-1600.
The Lacon families long association with the church can be seen from numerous placards within the church and a family crypt in the East graveyard.
In the late eighties, the North East corner of the church was converted to a meeting room area for community groups with modern kitchen and toilet facilities.
Some images from inside the church
Some pictures taken outside of the church